There are so many hair care products in the form of shampoo, hair masks, hair oil etc. The most beneficial hair oil may turn into harmful ones if we misapply them, do it too frequently or use too large amounts of the oil.
And the most critical question is “How Often Should You Oil Your Scalp” and “which hair oil is best for hair?” Regardless, being conscious of this is very important!
So in this article, we will try to answer the questions related to hair oil in detail. But also, you will discover what makes hair oil so beneficial for our strands and how you could choose the best hair oil that will give the most of it to your hair.
How Often Should You Oil Your Scalp
Now you have to understand the importance of oiling your hair. You should know how often this procedure should be done. How frequently you massage your scalp with oil depends on your hair type. You can use hair and scalp oil with three types of hair: regular, oily, and dry hair.
|Hair Type||Oil Your Scalp|
|Regular Hair||1-2 time per week|
|Oily Hair||1 time per week|
|Dry Hair||2-3 time per week|
On the other hand, you may have to oil your hair daily for the first week if you don’t want to use hair oil for a long time period. The best result you need to leave the oil on your scalp overnight before washing your hair in the morning.
Which oil is best for regular/normal hair
If your hair type is normal and you want to take care of your hair, then you can prefer options such as Coconut oil, olive oil, and caster oil.
- Coconut oil is one of the best choices for normal or dry hair. Coconut oil has multiple benefits. It protects against heat damage and repairs damaged and broken hair. Regular use of coconut oil helps prevent hair loss and promotes healthy hair growth and scalp.
- Olive oil provides protection against heat damage, imparts a sleek look and shine, and moisturizes and gives damaged and broken hair a healthy look.
- Castor oil improves blood flow to the scalp, which promotes healthier hair. Castor oil can moisturize a dry, irritated scalp. Castor oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties that can reduce dandruff.
Which oil is best for oily scalp
If your hair type is oily, you want antibacterial oils to help restore moisture balance so that you can prefer options such as rosemary oil, lavender oil, and lemon oil. There are many others oil, but these three are a good starting point since they are easy to find for most people.
- Rosemary oil offers scalp stimulation, which can help with more suitable oil production distribution while also helping to remove fungus from your scalp.
- Lavender oil delivers the same antibacterial properties while naturally balancing natural oils and soothing irritations. It is one of the best hair oil for oily scalp.
- Tea tree oil is an excellent home remedy to get control of the concerns of an excessively oily scalp. Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties that help maintain a healthy scalp by controlling fungal and bacterial growth. It also decreases dandruff and greasiness.
- How to use tea tree oil? Add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil with your shampoo. Massage into your hair and rinse off with water thoroughly. Alternatively, mix a few drops of tea tree oil with any carrier oil and massage it all over your scalp for about 6-8 minutes.
When adding anything new product to your hair care routine, it is adequate to take it slow. Add these oils and experiment to find the best combination for your hair type.
which is the best hair oil for dry hair
Hair has three different layers. The outer layer creates natural oils, which make hair look beneficial and shiny and rescues it from breaking. If your hair type is dry, you can use Coconut oil, almond oil, Avocado oil, caster oil, rosemary oil for hair growth, and olive oil.
- Coconut oil is healthy for hair and scalp, as it contains both omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E. When the scalp is toxic, hair can become brittle and dry.
- Besides being rich in fatty acids, Almond oil also has Vitamin E and protein which promotes new hair growth and prevents hair breakage. Almond oil is an excellent moisturizer for hair.
- Avocado oil provides important nutrients for healthy hair such as fat, minerals, and antioxidants. Those healthy fats can help repair dry or damaged hair with their nourishing nutrients.
- Rosemary oil is perfect for hair growth if you want to grow your hair fast. Mix rosemary oil with caster oil or any other essential oil you use. It will show results in just one month.
- Olive oil is also a natural conditioner for dry hair. If you want to leave conditioner from your hair care routine, then you have to add olive oil to your hair care routine.
4 Steps on how you should oil your hair
After choosing hair oil according to your hair type next step is how you should oil your hair properly.
1. Heat the oil
Heat your hair oil for a few seconds till they are warm. You can also put the hair oil in the microwave for 10 seconds. Using normal hot oil will allow for more in-depth penetration through your hair cuticles and close them to keep your hair moisturized.
2. Massage Your Scalp with oil
Gently massage the heated oil into your scalp with the help of your fingertips for a few minutes using circular movements. Work your way across the absolute scalp for 6-10 minutes. Also, apply this oil to your hair length with soft hands. Please don’t comb your hair after oiling you can comb it before oiling.
3. Wrap A Warm towel Around Your Hair
Secure your hair into a bun. Please don’t tie it too tightly as it can cause breakage, and wrap a warm towel around your head. This warm oil can open up your pores and cuticles, allowing your hair to deeper penetration of the oil into your scalp and hair follicles.
4. Rinse Oil off well
After applying oil to your scalp and hair, you can leave it on overnight and wash it off entirely with your favorite shampoo the next morning. Try using standard or cold water to rinse out your hair. If you use essential oil, please wash your hair after 3 to 4 hours; otherwise, the pollution will make your scalp and hair dirty.
How long should you leave the oil in your hair?
You can leave the oil on your hair overnight, but if you use some thick essential oil, then 4 to 5 hours is enough. If you use more hair oil than you need, thinking you need to coat every strand of your hair with oil, you will need the same amount of shampoo to get it off, or you have to use shampoo twice to wash all the hair oil off.
Disadvantages of applying oil to hair
Well, there is no disadvantage to applying hair oil, but it has a lot of advantages.
- Hair Oil provides nutrients and vitamins to the scalp and hair follicles.
- Hair oil helps to reduce frizziness.
- Essential oils like tea tree oil and rosehip oil target exact scalp and skin issues.
- Hair oil massage can prevent premature graying of hair, and it’s a stress relief technique.
- Using hair oil reduces the risk of lice.
- Using hair oil can promote hair growth and make hair soft, silky, and shiny.
- Using hair oil can reduce hair fall issues.
How Often Should You Oil Your Scalp for hair growth
Choose hair oil according to your hair type, add rosemary oil into your oil, mix it well, and use it 2 to 3 times per week. Rosemary oil helps hair growth. You can see visible results in just 1-2 months.
Why Does Your Hair Fall After Oiling It?
However, massaging your scalp or hair too hard can induce breakage The best way to avoid this is to massage your scalp as you gently apply oils. Oiling your hair more than three times a week or not washing it off thoroughly is unhealthy for your hair and can turn it limp and brittle. If you use an extensive amount of oil, wash your hair twice with shampoo.
How often should you oil your hair if you have dandruff?
Apply hair oil 2-3 times per week. Home remedies for dandruff mix lemon juice with your shampoo and use it 2-3 times per week. You can also mix lemon oil into your regular oil.
- 4 Steps How To Wash Bleach Out Of Hair At Home
- Why Does My Hair Feel Waxy After washing and Drying?
- 7 benefits of eucalyptus essential oil and 5 ways to use
- How Long After a Perm Can You Wash Your Hair + Types Of Hair Perm
- 5 Benefits Why Collagen Is Important for Hair Growth
- Why Does My hair curl up at the ends| 9 Common Reasons and Solutions
- 5 Benefits of Rosehip Oil For Hair + Simple Ways to Use the Oil